I love anything with chicken mayo so came up with the idea to try it in a braai pie. To give it some zest I added cheddar cheese to the first try and eventually ended up with three cheeses added but the result was just amazing.
- 4 x chicken fillets
- 2 x table spoons cooking oil
- Ina Paarman chicken spice
- 1 x Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 x Cup Grated Emmenthal Cheese (German)
- 1 x Cup Grated Smoked Gouda Cheese (Kasselshoop)
- Nola Ultra Creamy Mayonnaise
- 2 x rolls puff pastry
- 1 x egg beaten
- Spice the fillets with the chicken spice.
- Cook the chicken fillets in a pan on medium heat until golden brown and done.
- Let the fillets cool down and then pull them using two forks.
- In the meantime prepare your fire with medium to cold coals.
- Clean your grid and make sure it is cold. You can spray it with Cook & Spray to prevent the pie sticking to it.
- Add the pulled chicken to a large bowl and add enough mayonnaise so that once cooked the chicken will not be dry inside the pie.
- Add the three cheeses and mix the cheese in well.
- Roll out the one pastry roll on a table with the plastic wrap on the bottom
- Spread out the chicken mayo cheese mix over the pastry leaving some space on the edges.
- Now roll out the other pastry roll over the chicken and close up the edges with a fork to form a pie.
- Using a brush cover the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Now pic up the pie by using the plastic gently and place it in the braai grid bottom section.
- Close the braai grid gently but do not compress the pie.
- Quickly turn the braai grid over, remove the plastic and brush with the beaten remaining beaten egg.
- Quickly turn the braai grid back and place on the coals.
- Braai both sides until golden brown.
- Service with a nice avocado feta salad.