Pap (“Maize Porridge”) and sauce is a very traditional South African dish. Many years ago I was introduced to this dish and quite liked it but for some reason everybody had their secret recipe for the sauce and did not want to share so I decided to make my own concoction for a sauce and this was the end result.
- 1 x Tin Tomato and Onion mix (or fresh tomato and onion)
- 1 x 250ml cream
- 2 x table spoons Mrs Balls Chutney
- 2 x table spoons All Gold tomato sauce
- 1-2 x teaspoon dried sweet basil (or to taste)
- 1-2 x teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 x teaspoon Robertsons Chilli Flakes (or to taste)
- 2 x teaspoons sugar
- 6 x drops tobasco
- You can substitute the chilli and sugar with 2-3 table spoons Wellingtons sweet chilli sauce
Pour all the ingredients into a sauce pot and let it simmer slowly until the sauce reaches the desired thickness and all the flavours have combined.
Pour over your favourite maize pap or braai wors and enjoy.
You can leave the tobasco out for a more milder taste.