“A superb broccoli cheese chicken soup. Serve with crusty ciabatta bread or puff pastry straws.”
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 medium chopped onions
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 600g fresh broccoli
- 400g chicken fillets cut into cubes or strips
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Approx 250g grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Ina Paarman Chicken Spice
- salt and pepper
Sauté onion in butter. Add the chicken cubes or strips and spice with chicken spice and cook until slightly brown. Set aside.
Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, stock, broccoli, carrots and onions to a pot with 1 cup of water and cook over low/medium heat 40-45 minutes until soft and the fluid has reduced.
Purée in a blender or use a stick blender until a smooth slightly thick texture is achieved.
Let cool down for a few minutes then add the milk and cream and stir in.
Add the chicken and onion.
Return to heat and add cheese and let simmer until the desired thickness.
It turned out simply delicious. You will be back for more!
Recipe courtesy of Taste-Buds Cooking Club
Puff Pastry Straws
- 1 Roll Puff Pastry
- Tomato and Chilli Jam
- Unroll defrosted puff pastry, brush with a warmed tomato and chilli jam, twist into straws and bake at 180 until puffed and browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool, serve with the soup.