- 30ml (2T) olive oil
- 100g butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 – 2 packets various wild mushrooms or brown mushrooms sliced
- 400g risotto rice
- 125ml white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Litre chicken stock, hot
- 120g Parmesan freshly grated
- 50g Pine nuts, lightly toasted (Optional)
- Fresh basil to serve
- Bacon bits grilled or baked in a pan until crispy to serve
- About 1-1.5 Litre Hot Water
In a large pan, heat the oil with 30 ml of the butter and fry the onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft but not brown, about 15 mins.
Add the rice and stir to coat well. Increase the heat slightly, season and add the wine.
Stir until the liquid has been completely absorbed.
Very important keep the stock in a saucepan over a low heat and add a 1-3 ladles at a time to the risotto stirring occasionally.
Make sure after adding the stock that it has been absorbed before adding more.
Once all the stock has been absorbed the risotto should be cooked but al dente. If not you can add some hot water 1-3 ladles at a time until the risotto just turns al dente.
Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining butter and the parmesan.
Cover and leave to stand for 2 mins.
Serve the risotto topped with Pine nuts, chopped basil and crispy bacon.
Recipe courtesy of Taste-Buds Cooking Club