- 1 x punnet (250 g) Brown Mushrooms sliced
- 1 x 250 ml Cream
- 1 medium to large onion sliced
- 2 table spoons olive or coconut oil for cooking
- 2 table spoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoon’s crushed garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slowly sauté the onions in a pan to turn soft and brown. (Be patient as it takes some time on low heat) Add the mushrooms and butter and cook slowly until done. Now add the garlic, salt and pepper and allow to simmer a few minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool then add the cream. Slowly simmer to allow the cream to thicken. (Takes a while!) Be careful as you want to stop just before the cream separates and the sauce is nice and thick.
This is simply wonderful over steak, chicken and pork fillets (You can add some Dijon mustard for the pork)
I simply love this sauce as it is made from scratch.
You can use white button mushrooms but the taste is simply not the same!