I have always loved chicken livers and finally managed to put this recipe together after numerous attempts to get it right.
- 1 x tub 500 g fresh (preferred) or defrosted chicken livers
- 2 table spoons olive or coconut oil
- 15 ml butter
- 1 x teaspoon crushed garlic (more to taste if you like)
- 5-10 ml paprika to taste
- 2-5 ml Ina Paarman Chilli and Garlic Seasoning
- 15 ml tomato sauce or tomato paste (I just use the sauce)
- 1 x onion sliced
- 100 ml white wine of your choice ( I prefer a Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 x Bay Leaf
- 250 ml Cream
Slowly sauté the onion in the oil until soft and brown. Add the livers, tomato sauce, butter, garlic, paprika, bay leave, and Chilli and Garlic spice and cook until slightly brown. Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly. Add the wine and cream and then simmer until the sauce is nice and thick. Be careful not to over do it as the cream will separate if simmered too long.
Serve with your favourite fresh or toasted bread. Also works well with mash and stir fry.